Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Design Proposal--Project #3--Alternative Materials

The idea for this project is to pick a form and express that form through various materials. As an expectant mother, my mind is constantly on what it will be like to raise a child. From 'will they take to breastfeeding?' to 'will they get a date to the prom?' to 'will they live a long and happy life?' are thoughts I can't seem to shake but will really only discover through experience. This is what brought to my attention the many stages of life and how I might communicate them through material and form. I would like to carve a wax rendition of a baby pacifier (sketches and models to come), to cast out of multiple materials. This form is striking to me. Its clean, simple and strong, and an abstracted version of it will work well with my ideas. A pacifier is one of the first possessions one has. The nipple shape is symbolic of that of mother and her nurturing relationship with child. There are limits to what can be cast so I am choosing materials relative to my ideas I can only imagine will work. I may need advice and practice runs to test them.

Butter. Chubby newborn stage. Pure. Innocent. Simple.
Crayons. Playful infant stage. Creative. Colorful. Melted down able to be colored with once cast.
Metal. Teenage years. Cold. Hard. Distant. Frustration. Rebellion.
Rose Petals in Resin. Romantic years. Love. Heartbreak. Joy. Disappointment.
Ice. Old age. Weathered. Vunerability. Deterioration.
Since ice is a temporary material, I would like to include a hard substance to remain once the ice has melted. Something left behind, as we all do once we exist and exit our life cycle.
Pomegranate Seeds.



Lemon Peel.

3 comments:

Rebecca Dortzbach said...

i think its a beautiful idea, i worked in melted crayons once, it wasn't too hard i think someone was testing butter out the other day, maybe tracy?

Unknown said...

What a great idea, and I love your age allegories. Especially the infant/toddler stage. Get ready for melt downs!
Every stage of parenting is different,there are so many rewards..
I can't wait to see how your work progresses.
Theresa K

Jangrrrrl said...

Fantastic, Erinn. Really perfect. Yea!