Monday, September 17, 2007

Response to 'Designer in Training'

I am a little confused with what is meant by a 'digital sketchbook'---is this it? Is blogging our digital sketchbook? Please clarify. I have tried to post sights I have viewed and it is not working. The book that is mentioned is no longer being published. I do keep a sketchbook and have always been a collector of magazines and agree they are useful in many ways--current events, random eye-catching patterns. I agree with the jewelry vs. object aspect in that the process is similar. I almost always invest in recommended books, but I just recently subscribed to 4 new magazines and 4 new books, so the Bird By Bird book might have to wait. I need to dedicate more time to newspapers but am very busy as is--I will try.

2 comments:

Jangrrrrl said...

I am in the process of posting the first 24 pages from Bird by Bird to our blackboard site via E-reserves so you can look for it there soon. You are doing great with books and magazines and an emphasis on newspapers. Step by step and those steps that you have recently taken aren't small. Good Work.

Jangrrrrl said...

Digital sketchbook---
Yes, you have all started what I am calling a digital sketchbook. Digital sketchbooks do not replace traditional sketchbooks but augment them; as (digital) technology becomes a bigger and bigger part of our lives, we must respond, learn, and utilize. This is new so it won't look like anything you currenty know. And like all sketchbooks, it ought to fit and serve its user- i.e., they will all look slightly different. You are doing well.Now, let's evolve it over the rest of the semester and see where we end up. How can this new tool serve you as an artist/designer? I would suggest, scanning in some sketches ad drawings, photograph your prototypes and scan in....If I could require the following book as reading, I would Rebecca Blood's, Weblog, A Handbook for....(I forget the exact title). But for now, as you read magazines and newspapers, pay attention to writing about blogs, their role, the blogosphere. etc. the info is out there, now that we know to look for it. Hooray, Erinn, you are doing well.