Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Aftertoughts...Design Problem Uno

Critique for design problem one in metals and jewelry II began Tuesday, October 9th. We spent most of the class doing peer-evaluations. Split up into groups of 5, we rated each other's work according to the criteria layed out for us in the beginning of the semester. The object was to design a product as if you were commissioned by the Droog design team out of Amsterdam. Research for this assignment was critical since most of the class had not previously heard of the very eclectic design firm. In addition to online research about Droog, we were shown some new techniques used on metal. We had to demonstrate we could master solder inlay, lammenation inlay, rolling mill textures, and etching. I had the most trouble with solder inlay but was able to get results on one of my pieces. I am now facinated by lammenation inlay now that I fully understand it and was successful in the end. My project reflected the Droog idea of using objects in more than one way, like the plant swing designed by Droog. I made 4 barrettes that also can be used as a necklace pendant or bracelet center piece. I had the most trouble with the safety clasp on the back, but Jan helped by drawing a diagram further explaining how to be more successful with the craftsmanship of those parts. When I get my project returned to me I would like to fix that part because it will add greatly to the piece. I would also like to photograph it and post it up here. I really enjoyed everyone else's projects and interpretation of my project. I learned alot during the past 7 weeks. I understand how important it is to dig in right away and starting hashing out ideas. I jumped right in to this next project, not only because it has an earlier due date but because it just made sense. I am happy to have learned about the new techniques and look forward to pushing those even further.

1 comment:

Jangrrrrl said...

good job, Erinn.
On future AAR's please follow the prescribed frmat although add your commentary b/c it is enjoyable to hear "you" in the writing.
Good job.