Sunday, January 25, 2009

Stained glass window portrait

For xmas 2008, of course, I wanted to share some type of family portrait of the three of us. I was going to etch copper plates and then patina them as an ornament, but since the chemicals were too inconvenient to obtain, decided to make that a project for a later date.
THEN...I tried pouring resin into candy molds with one of our photos to make ornaments. After trying a few different combinations of things, I wasnt really that into it.

SO...I decided to use some of the many scraps of glass I have from a stained glass class I took previously.

I took our photo, simplified it in photoshop, then created a window pattern. I colored several different color combinations since I wanted to make six 8x10 windows and wanted them all to be unique color combinations. I made two with primary colors (blue, red, and yellow); one secondary colors (orange, green, and purple); and three complimentary colors (purple/yellow, red/green, and orange/blue). After lots and lots of work they all turned out great. Pictured is an example of one of the blue, red and yellow ones. Dont ask me how I did this with a newborn. Oh--I know, my mom occupied him a few times:)

































1 comment:

Katy Ginger said...

This is awesome Erinn!