Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Blood Diamonds Imagery

Bullets
I thought I would look up bullets because of the relationship of the diamond craze serving as ammunition or 'fuel' for war. It turns out there are some really lovely shapes accompanying the bullet image. I was considering making a bullet referenced neckpiece with a noose going through it and also binding the hands, touching on the slavery issue--maybe with some interlocking wrist braces.


Kimberlite Pipe
I think the kimberlite pipe is an interesting scientific discovery--I just havent found a way to tie it into a project idea. The only thing I could come up with was veins erupting with diamonds....

























Maps
There are some nice patterns and shapes happening here.

Mining Carts

I like the antiquity to these old mining carts. The first one looks secretive because of the trunk-like shape to it. The various gears and wheels in the second one are nice, just not sure how I would work these into a piece yet.



Prosthetics/Amputation
I noticed toward the end the claw-like prosthetic hands that one of the blood diamond victims had been given so they could take voice in politics again and live a more normal life. I wouldnt want to use this image so representationally but thought about what something other than an arm or a hand might look like amputated.



Scar Tissue
In researching scars I decided to investigate a more dramatic type of scar--a keloid. Keloids are overgrown scar tissues that have regrown abnormally outside the boundary of the original wound. I like the imagery here in that they are 'deeper' scars so to speak. Something more unforgettable. I would like to use this as texture detail in my piece.


4 comments:

Jangrrrrl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jangrrrrl said...

great, great work, Erinn. Amazing imagery. sweet little mining cart and the scar tissue! Good job....can't wait to see what you create.

Jesse Dortzbach said...

its great how your research lead to you these pictures of mining carts. they're wonderful. if you go further on the scar thing and need to cast real ones let me know, my husband has had some surgeries and has some nice ones.

Rebecca Dortzbach said...

my bad, that was me